Thursday, May 24, 2018

It Comes At Night (2017)


IMDb plot summary: Secure within a desolate home as an unnatural threat terrorizes the world, a man has established a tenuous domestic order with his wife and son. Then a desperate young family arrives seeking refuge.
Directed by Trey Edward Shults. Starring Joel Edgerton, Christopher Abbott, Kelvin Harrison Jr., and Carmen Ejogo.

I had high hopes for this one, but I must admit I was ultimately disappointed. The film's wavering between reality and nonreality (which may include large pieces of the ending, according to the director, who cleared nothing up for me) is less intriguing for me and more frustrating, like I felt like this film was stubbornly refusing all my attempts to understand it. I think there are certainly some things of substance here, but you have to dig for them, and the taste I got upfront was not enough to pique my interest.

2.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
It Comes At Night < Lord of War
It Comes At Night > The Children's Hour
It Comes At Night > Shadows and Fog
It Comes At Night > Our Idiot Brother
It Comes At Night < Marvin's Room
It Comes At Night > 13 Going on 30
It Comes At Night < Interestate 60
It Comes At Night < The Crazies (2010)
It Comes At Night > My Sassy Girl
It Comes At Night < Good Morning, Vietnam
Final spot: #1519 out of 2789.

No comments: