Wednesday, May 16, 2018

The Dark Side of the Moon (1990)


IMDb plot summary: In 2022, a repair crew is sent to fix an orbital weapon but their spaceship malfunctions and ends up heading towards the dark side of the moon. There, in a mysterious, seemingly abandoned space shuttle, a sinister force lies in wait.
Directed by D.J. Webster. Starring Robert Sampson, Will Bledsoe, Joe Turkel, and Camilla More.

As much as I have a fondness for cheesy sci-fi, this is a pretty uninspiring one, though I did laugh out loud when the big mystery turned out to be not only connected to the Bermuda Triangle, but to the actual devil and the number of the Beast. It's a very dated film, both in terms of aesthetics (though being so low-budget didn't help) and in terms of, well, things like its treatment of women, and it's not clever enough or well-scripted enough to overcome it. On top of that, it's just *dark*. Not sad dark, I mean about a third of the time I literally wasn't sure what was happening on the screen. There kept being these big reveals about who the new villain was and I couldn't follow them because I couldn't see them. I like dumb low-budget science fiction a lot of the time, but this one doesn't quite hit the mark for me.

1 star.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Dark Side of the Moon < Pulp Fiction
The Dark Side of the Moon < The Children's Hour
The Dark Side of the Moon > Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
The Dark Side of the Moon > The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Dark Side of the Moon < Bad Moms
The Dark Side of the Moon > 30 Minutes or Less
The Dark Side of the Moon > Redline
The Dark Side of the Moon > Taxi
The Dark Side of the Moon > Eagle Eye
The Dark Side of the Moon < The Boss
Final spot: #2180 out of 2784.

No comments: