Saturday, May 5, 2018

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)


IMDb plot summary: When Cartman and his friends go see an R rated movie, they start cursing and their parents think that Canada is to blame.
Directed by Trey Parker. Starring Trey Parker, Matt Stone, Mary Kay Bergman, and Isaac Hayes.

I have never seen an episode of the South Park TV show but I had high hopes for this, given how much I enjoy Parker & Stone's other musical efforts. The music is definitely the best part of this film. Some of these songs are fantastic -- clever lyrics, music that is a perfect parody of various musical styles, and, on the whole, pretty solid jokes. But compared to something like Cannibal!, the jokes are much more sophomoric, and compared to The Book of Mormon, the satire feels extremely aimless. There's a carelessness to this (that I suspect is tonally carried over from the show itself) that not only keeps it from ever really working but frequently gets in the way of the actual jokes. I chuckled a few times, but on the whole I wasn't sold.

2.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
South Park > No Country for Old Men (which really needs to be moved out of the center of my chart)
South Park < Baby Driver
South Park < The Village
South Park < Ghost World
South Park > Lolita (1997)
South Park < All That Jazz
South Park > National Lampoon's Vacation
South Park > The Magnificent Ambersons
South Park < Wreck-It Ralph
South Park > Silent Hill
South Park < Crocodile Dundee
Final spot: #1265 out of 2775

No comments: