Monday, May 28, 2018

The Trojan Women (1971)


IMDb plot summary: The women of Troy face enslavement after the fall of their city.
Directed by Mihalis Kakogiannis. Starring Katharine Hepburn, Vanessa Redgrave, Geneviève Bujold, and Irene Papas.

This is, as far as I can tell, a pretty straightforward presentation of Euripedes' play. I was going to say "film adaptation" but it doesn't really feel like a film adaptation so much as just a filmed version of the play. Which, of course, isn't necessarily going to be a problem with me. There are some really lovely moments here -- Katharine Hepburn exudes sorrow just by looking at people -- and a few intense and powerful monologues, but the melodramatic style of acting too often leads to shrieking important lines. Euripedes was a tough read when I went through a bunch of his plays last year. It's easier to watch, but it's still slow to get through. I appreciate what this movie does more than I enjoy it.

3 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Trojan Women > In Time
The Trojan Women < Sweet Smell of Success
The Trojan Women > Blade
The Trojan Women < His Girl Friday
The Trojan Women < Signs
The Trojan Women < The Fly (1986)
The Trojan Women > Nine to Five
The Trojan Women > Something to Sing About
The Trojan Women > Brave
The Trojan Women < Monsters

Final spot: #1009 out of 2793.

No comments: