Sunday, March 5, 2017

Tokyo Story (1953)


IMDb plot summary: An old couple visit their children and grandchildren in the city; but the children have little time for them.
Directed by Yasujirô Ozu. Starring Chishû Ryû, Chieko Higashiyama, Setsuko Hara, and Haruko Sugimura.

This was my first Ozu movie, though I had watched a video about his filmmaking style only a month or two ago. His usage of camera is certainly distinct, though it had an odd connotation for me, as watching people speak directly into the camera at me primarily reminded me of computer games like Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective and Oregon Trail 2 where you interview characters along the way. Unique camera placement aside, I thought this was a pleasant story. The characters were distinct and interesting to watch interacting with each other. It was a bit *too* quiet for me to love, although I appreciate what it's doing. I didn't feel any sense of resolution at the end, it just kind of finished. That's not a huge knock against it or anything, but it's probably going to land among other movies that I thought were good but couldn't conjure up any really fond feeling toward.

3 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Tokyo Story > Paper Moon
Tokyo Story < The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness
Tokyo Story < Hamlet (1990)
Tokyo Story > The Hangover
Tokyo Story < V for Vendetta
Tokyo Story < October Sky
Tokyo Story > Splash
Tokyo Story < Memoirs of a Geisha
Tokyo Story < Clueless
Tokyo Story < Sunday in the Park with George
Tokyo Story < The Matador
Tokyo Story < Letters from Iwo Jima

Final spot: #1112 out of 2589.

No comments: