Thursday, March 30, 2017

Lazer Team (2015)


IMDb plot summary: Four losers are thrust into the position of saving the world when they stumble upon a UFO crash site and become genetically equipped to the battle suit on board.
Directed by Matt Hullum. Starring Burnie Burns, Gavin Free, Michael Jones, and Colton Dunn.

Well, this is silly and ridiculous. Most of the time it's in a fun way, like watching a bunch of friends that goof off together, but it never works much beyond that. A lot of the jokes are pretty juvenile and I enjoy it because everyone involved seems to be having a blast, but I think there's a much stronger film that could be made out of this one. The attempts at character development were pretty awkward and didn't really do much (though I super sympathized with what's-his-face who was supposed to be the actual hero -- I kinda wish the entire movie had JUST been his story).

I also found myself hugely missing a female presence in this movie. There are a grand total of two women here, and both of them are primarily used as the center of uncomfortable "teehee, they're hot" jokes (one is literally credited as "Beautiful Scientist"). I'm so used to male-led action movies that I typically just roll my eyes and move on at this, but this time it grated on me a little. Bringing a bit more gender diversity to the character line-up would definitely have been a smart move that would have made for a more well-rounded movie.

Overall, I'm very back and forth on this one. Parts of it worked, parts of it didn't. It had a lot of potential but didn't quite live up to it.

2.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Lazer Team < Death at a Funeral (2007)
Lazer Team > Secondhand Lions
Lazer Team > Over the Hedge
Lazer Team > Joe Versus the Volcano
Lazer Team < The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer
Lazer Team > Hysteria
Lazer Team < The Room
Lazer Team > Bunraku
Lazer Team > Rigoletto
Lazer Team > The Big Sleep
Lazer Team < A Star Is Born (1954)
Final spot: #1404 out of 2600.

No comments: