Saturday, March 25, 2017

Gone Girl (2014)


IMDb plot summary: With his wife's disappearance having become the focus of an intense media circus, a man sees the spotlight turned on him when it's suspected that he may not be innocent.
Directed by David Fincher. Starring Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris, and Tyler Perry.

(Some spoilers ahead.)

When I first read the book Gone Girl, I felt astonished and riveted. It hit the halfway mark and I couldn't put it down. I felt a similar sense of intrigue watching Fincher's adaptation, even though I already knew the plot points to come, and the final few minutes hit me here much harder than they did in the book, where it felt slightly anticlimactic. I think the film does a surprisingly good job of bringing us into the mindset of two extremely cryptic and unlikable characters. Ben Affleck is typically not an actor I am impressed by, but this is a great role for him, and he nails it. Rosamund Pike is equally good. Overall, a well-done adaptation, though I wonder whether I'd be raving more about it if I'd seen this version before reading the book, which really did blow my mind.

4 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Gone Girl > About Last Night...
Gone Girl > Tropic Thunder
Gone Girl < The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
Gone Girl < The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall
Gone Girl > Young Adult
Gone Girl < Hidden Figures
Gone Girl > Cheaper by the Dozen (1950)
Gone Girl > Fences
Gone Girl > The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
Gone Girl > Hoodwinked!

Final spot: #529 out of 2598.

No comments: