Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Jack Goes Boating (2010)


IMDb plot summary: A limo driver's blind date sparks a tale of love, betrayal, friendship, and grace centered around two working-class New York City couples.
Directed by Philip Seymour Hoffman. Starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Ryan, John Ortiz, and Daphne Rubin-Vega.

(Very minor spoilers ahead.)

This movie builds very, very slowly, so slowly I didn't even realize how invested I was until the end of the movie rolled around and I found myself almost crying at how satisfying I found the final few shots. I didn't realize this was directed by Philip Seymour Hoffman, but it makes sense, because it embodies so many of the things I always loved about his performances, bringing out the humanity of characters that might easily be overlooked in most Hollywood films. Both Hoffman and Amy Ryan are really excellent here. (The more I see of Ryan as a dramatic actress after only knowing her from The Office, the more I like her.) It reminded me in an odd way of the musical Company, a man trying to figure out what relationships should look like partly by looking at his friends' messed-up relationships and ultimately deciding it's worth it anyway. I feel like this is one that could grow on me and become, eventually, even a comfort movie.

4 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Jack Goes Boating > The 5th Wave
Jack Goes Boating > The Impossible
Jack Goes Boating < The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
Jack Goes Boating < The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall
Jack Goes Boating > The Grapes of Wrath
Jack Goes Boating > The Cranes Are Flying
Jack Goes Boating < A Streetcar Named Desire
Jack Goes Boating > Hard Candy
Jack Goes Boating > Romy and Michele's High School Reunion
Jack Goes Boating > Robot and Frank
Jack Goes Boating < Persepolis

Final spot: #509 out of 2597.

No comments: