Saturday, March 4, 2017

Before I Fall (2017)


IMDb plot summary: February 12 is just another day in Sam's charmed life until it turns out to be her last. Stuck reliving her last day over one inexplicable week, Sam untangles the mystery around her death and discovers everything she's in danger of losing.
Directed by Ry Russo-Young. Starring Zoey Deutch, Halston Sage, Logan Miller, and Kian Lawley.

I can almost promise you this movie is going to be out of my mind entirely by next week. It's a nice premise, but it ultimately ends up being a sloppily-executed sentimental teen version of Groundhog Day. While Groundhog Day was funny enough that you didn't mind too much that the main character was a jerk, it is very difficult to find a bright spot in the first 30 minutes of this movie, when our main characters are almost (but not) comically horrible. Then the main idea of this movie kicks in and the cheesy moral lessons kick in. There are one or two moments in this movie that are kind of interesting to watch, but overall it gets bogged down in nonsense. It does make me want to read the book, though, which I sense could be significantly better. But so far 2017 is 0 for 2 on good YA sci-fi movies.

1.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Before I Fall < The Fifth Wave
Before I Fall > Top Gun
Before I Fall < The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Before I Fall < Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging
Before I Fall > Spider-Man 3
Before I Fall < The Chalk Garden
Before I Fall < Are You My Neighbor?
Before I Fall < Thoroughly Modern Millie
Before I Fall < The Whole Nine Yards
Before I Fall > Swingers
Before I Fall < Buddy Buddy

Final spot: #1773 out of 2588.

No comments: