Saturday, March 11, 2017

The Cranes Are Flying (1957)


IMDb plot summary: Veronica plans a rendezvous with her lover, Boris, at the bank of river, only for him to be drafted into World War II shortly thereafter.
Directed by Mikhail Kalatozov. Starring Tatyana Samoylova, Aleksey Batalov, Vasiliy Merkurev, and Aleksandr Shvorin.

I hadn't even heard of this film before the Flickcharters Facebook group chose it as a group movie watch for the month. It's really a lovely movie, though. It takes a very human story and tells it in a simple but captivating way. I was most struck by the *look* of the film. More than a few times I just found myself thinking, "That is a really beautiful shot." The almost dreamy cinematography brings home the tragedy and the sadness of a relationship torn apart by war, and it does it well. I don't have much else to say about it other than that it touched me and I'm glad I saw it.

4 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Cranes Are Flying > The 5th Wave
The Cranes Are Flying > The Butler
The Cranes Are Flying < Benny & Joon
The Cranes Are Flying < The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall
The Cranes Are Flying > What's Eating Gilbert Grape
The Cranes Are Flying > Hoodwinked!
The Cranes Are Flying < A Streetcar Named Desire
The Cranes Are Flying < Hard Candy
The Cranes Are Flying < Hairspray Live!
The Cranes Are Flying < Center Stage
The Cranes Are Flying < Shakespeare Behind Bars
The Cranes Are Flying < We're Not Married!

Final spot: #527 out of 2591.

No comments: