Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Silent Hill (2006)


IMDb plot summary: A woman goes in search for her daughter, within the confines of a strange, desolate town called Silent Hill. Based on the video game.
Directed by Christophe Gans. Starring Radha Mitchell, Sean Bean, Laurie Holden and Jodelle Ferland.

(A brief spoiler hinting at the end, though I don't think knowing the plot is going to ruin the movie.)

You would have to work very hard to convince me that there's a coherent story going on in this movie, but it's sure freaking atmospheric. Fading back and forth between multiple dreamlike realities, there's always a sense of pervading doom, even when the main characters aren't being *actively* pursued by some of the scariest-looking creatures I've ever seen. The final scene in particular seems to undo a lot of the visible plot, and though I read a few explanations of what it meant, I found all of them fairly unsatisfying. I prefer to think of this as an artistic, poetic explanation of fear and anger, rather than a straightforward revenge story. When I approached it from that angle (which I chose very early in the movie), it was much easier to just immerse myself in the atmosphere and enjoy the ride it took me on. Analyze this one too closely and I suspect it falls apart, but give it some distance and it's definitely enjoyable. 3 stars.

Flickchart: #1020 out of 2036, below Be Kind Rewind and above High School Musical 3.

Buy a digital copy for $7.99.

No comments: