Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Agora (2009)


IMDb plot summary: A historical drama set in Roman Egypt, concerning a slave who turns to the rising tide of Christianity in the hopes of pursuing freedom while also falling in love with his master, the famous female philosophy and mathematics professor Hypatia of Alexandria.
Directed by Alejandro Amenábar. Starring Rachel Weisz, Max Minghella, and Oscar Isaac.

I knew absolutely nothing about this movie going into it. When it started and I saw that it was a period film set in the late 300s, I sighed a little, as most period films are difficult for me to get into... but then it immediately jumped into two subjects that I find fascinating in film: philosophy and religion. With the combination of interesting topics, a wonderfully interesting female protagonist, and smart writing, this movie kept me fully engaged all the way through. While it didn't emotionally grip me quite the way I was hoping it would, it was still an extremely solid watch and I'd quite happily recommend it.

(I'd forgotten who Alejandro Amenábar was until I IMDb'd him after the movie. It's no wonder I enjoyed this -- he was responsible for The Others and Abre los ojos, two other terrifically original movies that I really enjoyed. I really want to look up all the rest of his filmography now.) 4 stars.

Flickchart: #482 out of 2022, below Sherlock Jr. and above Phone Booth.

Rent on Amazon for $2.99.

No comments: