Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Cloud Atlas (2012)


IMDb plot summary: An exploration of how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future, as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero, and an act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution.
Directed by Tom Tykwer and Andy & Lana Wachowski.

Well, this was crazy complicated to watch. Jumping back and forth between six separate time periods is intricate enough, but jumping around multiple times in the span of a minute gets VERY confusing. Add to that the fact that all the actors are in it multiple times, so I had to keep remembering, "OK, I know that's Jim Broadbent, but are we in 1936 or 2012?"

In spite of that, though, it was also really fascinating. Once I got the hang of following all the different plotlines, I found each one of them to be very interesting, and I loved finding the connections between all of them. I wasn't as impressed by the way it all wrapped up at the end - I was hoping for a more coherent connection between everything - but it wasn't disappointing enough to keep me from liking the movie. It just was a little unsatisfying. 4 stars.

Flickchart: #473 out of 2013, below High Noon and above The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain.

Buy a digital copy for $9.99.

No comments: