Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Running with Scissors (2006)


IMDb plot summary: Young Augusten Burroughs absorbs experiences that could make for a shocking memoir: the son of an alcoholic father and an unstable mother, he's handed off to his mother's therapist, Dr. Finch, and spends his adolescent years as a member of Finch's bizarre extended family.
Directed by Ryan Murphy. Starring Joseph Cross, Annette Bening, Brian Cox and Evan Rachel Wood.

This was written and directed by Ryan Murphy, of Glee fame, and that actually makes total sense. It walks a weird line between comedy and drama, and while I think it's trying to be a Royal Tenenbaums or a Little Miss Sunshine, it just all feels a little disjointed to me. I didn't care about any of the characters except Annette Bening's, and I really only wanted to see her story. Everybody else was kind of mushed together in such a way that we never *really* got to see any of them, certainly not long enough for me to care. I get what it was trying to do, but I don't think it made it there for me. 2.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1185 out of 2014, below Crash and above The Big Lebowski.

Buy a digital copy for $7.99.

No comments: