Wednesday, February 26, 2014

How I Live Now (2013)


IMDb plot summary: An American girl, sent to the English countryside to stay with relatives, finds love and purpose while fighting for her survival as war envelops the world around her.
Directed by Kevin Macdonald. Starring Saoirse Ronan, Harley Bird, George MacKay and Tom Holland.

(Mild spoiler about the tone of the ending.)

I really had no idea what to expect when I started this movie, and what started off like The Secret Garden quickly turned into like... Grave of the Fireflies. Even with the triumphant ending, that dark "children dealing with nuclear war" feeling stayed with me, and I found this much more depressing than I think I was supposed to. Saoirse Ronan and Harley Bird are both excellent and carry the movie easily. Had I not been in sort of a weird mental state going into it, I think I could have enjoyed it more. As it was, it left me feeling... mostly just sad and empty. 2.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1049 out of 2037, below Fish Tank and above The Apostle.

Rent online for $3.99.

No comments: