Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Eat Pray Love (2010)


IMDb plot summary: A married woman realizes how unhappy her marriage really is, and that her life needs to go in a different direction. After a painful divorce, she takes off on a round-the-world journey to "find herself".
Directed by Ryan Murphy. Starring Julia Roberts, James Franco, Richard Jenkins, and Javier Bardem.

Just like the book, this one grabbed me in a way I didn't expect. On the surface it's just another "woman finds herself" story, but for some reason I find myself incredibly moved by Elizabeth Gilbert and her story of self-discovery (and it desperately makes me want to travel the world for a year). Though I hate using words like this because so often they're attached to things I hate, I did find this inspirational. This main character is relatable and engaging and watching her recover herself feels GOOD. Although I don't know that this would work on me every time, it may, in fact, have been exactly the movie I needed to watch today. 4 stars.

Flickchart: #488 out of 2015, below The Goodbye Girl (2004) and above Argo.

Buy a digital copy for $6.99.

No comments: