Friday, February 7, 2014

August: Osage County (2013)


IMDb plot summary: A look at the lives of the strong-willed women of the Weston family, whose paths have diverged until a family crisis brings them back to the Oklahoma house they grew up in, and to the dysfunctional woman who raised them.
Directed by John Wells. Starring Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Julianne Nicholson and Juliette Lewis.

I read this play for a college class and wasn't sure I "got" it at the time. I'm not sure I "get" it this time around either -- I'm not sure what exactly the theme is, aside from perhaps "families can be SCREWED UP." But I will say this, even if I can't figure out what the movie is about, it is excellent, compelling writing and excellent, compelling acting. Meryl Streep, who, IMHO, is sometimes amazing and sometimes kind of horrendous, is absolutely perfect in this role. She brings a horrific life to Violet Weston, who I found a thoroughly awful character when I read the play. The rest of the cast is also very, very good. I'm not sure I can say I enjoyed this movie, thus its mediocre placement on my Flickchart, but I was impressed.

Two completely not-relevant-to-the-quality-of-the-movie thoughts: 1) I am amused that the sisters are played by a Julia, a Julianne, and a Juliette. 2) BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH SINGS AND IT IS ADORABLE. 3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1017 out of 2017, below The Adjustment Bureau and above Glory.

Pre-order the DVD on Amazon.

No comments: