Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Long Goodbye (1973)


IMDb plot summary: Detective Philip Marlowe tries to help a friend who is accused of murdering his wife.
Directed by Robert Altman. Starring Elliott Gould, Nina van Pallandt, and Sterling Hayden.

I keep giving detective-based noirs and neo-noirs a chance in case I don't hate them some day, but, nope, that's not happening. This movie took me three days to watch because I kept getting bored and going to do something else. Noir characters continue to be impossibly unrelatable for me. In addition, this movie looks and sounds ugly. I'm sure the unclear visuals and muddled sound was done on purpose, but it just made me even less interested in the movie than I already was. I can't even judge anymore whether these are objectively good or not, because I can't figure out what the hype is about them in the first place. This is a bias I'm apparently not getting over any time soon.

Flickchart: #1719 out of 1906, below Spaceballs and above The Story of the Weeping Camel.

No comments: