Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Django Unchained (2012)


IMDb plot summary: With the help of a German bounty hunter, a freed slave sets out to rescue his wife from a brutal Mississippi plantation owner.
Directed by Quentin Tarantino. Starring Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, and Leonardo DiCaprio.

Meh.

Let me first say, I LOVED Inglourious Basterds and I like Tarantino in general. I heard heard that it was similar in feel to Inglourious Basterds, so I was really excited about it, but what I got was just... lacking.

There are a few great moments. DiCaprio is especially fascinating, and Waltz is always solid. But the Tarantino rambling philosophical dialogue, one of my favorite things about his work, was mostly absent. This made the movie seem much, much longer than it was for me, much less interesting throughout, and the violent climax seemed genuinely gratuitous, with not nearly enough building up to it.

Seriously disappointed by this one. 2.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1212 out of 1909, below Hello, Dolly! and above On the Town.

No comments: