Sunday, April 28, 2013

Hotel Transylvania (2012)


IMDb plot summary: Dracula, who operates a high-end resort away from the human world, goes into overprotective mode when a boy discovers the resort and falls for the count's teen-aged daughter.
Directed by Genndy Tartakovsky. Starring Adam Sandler, Andy Samberg, and Selena Gomez.

Meh. There have been some good animated kids' flicks in the last couple years. This is not one of them. It's generic, cliche, and the jokes really didn't work - I'm not sure if I even smiled once through the whole thing. Adam Sandler is less despicable as a voice than he is in live action anything. (Maybe it's just his face that makes me angry...) This is definitely not worth a watch. 1 star.

Flickchart: #1673 out of 1914, below 101 Dalmatians (1996) and above One For the Money.

1 comment:

Travis S. McClain said...

This was added to my collective UltraViolet account by a friend of mine whose son received the combo pack as a birthday gift. My niece wanted to stream it when she spent the night with me about a month ago, so I sat through it.

My biggest concern going into it wasn't Sandler, but just that it was going to be a case where they took a very small idea and tried to stretch it too far - which is exactly what happened.

This could have been a really fun short, but as a feature it just never comes together. I have almost no patience for situational comedy focused on someone going to great lengths to obscure the truth that will obviously, inevitably have to come out in the end. It's a big reason why I despise Mrs. Doubtfire so much. I'm a just-come-out-with-it person, so watching someone lie and scheme for an hour and a half to hide things isn't funny to me. It's grating and frustrating.

All that said, I did like the *idea* of this one. The animation was solid, and I liked most of the cast - particularly Steve Buscemi as the run down Wolf Man and Fran Drescher as the nagging Bride of Frankenstein. I also really liked the character of Mavis and thought Selena Gomez did a nice job with her voice work to create a sympathetic character out of her.