Friday, April 26, 2013

Stalker (1979)


IMDb plot summary: A guide leads two men through an area known as the Zone to find a room that grants wishes.
Directed by Andrey Tarkovskiy. Starring Aleksandr Kaydanovskiy, Anatoliy Solonitsyn, and Nikolay Grinko.

Well, this was... something.

You know what movie made me feel like this? The Tree of Life. I consistently felt like there was *something* really beautiful and really interesting about that movie beyond my reach, but, like with Tree of Life, I couldn't quite break through the wall of OH MY GOSH NOTHING IS HAPPENING. I'm pretty sure there was a four-minute shot of these men just staring into a tunnel. That's it. No dialogue, no sound, not really any movement. Just tunnel-staring.

I just don't have the patience for a movie that has four minutes of tunnel-staring. 1.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1458 out of 1911, below Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey and above The Firm.

No comments: