Saturday, April 27, 2013

Blow Out (1981)


IMDb plot summary: A movie sound recordist accidentally records the evidence that proves that a car accident was actually murder and consequently finds himself in danger.
Directed by Brian De Palma. Starring John Travolta, Nancy Allen and John Lithgow.

(Mild spoilers ahead for the ending.)

When I looked up this film on IMDb, I was a little surprised by all the love it was getting. I looked around online to confirm that, nope, it wasn't just there. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't really anything special. It's all a little campy and a little cheesy and has quite a few ridiculous moments and some rather terrible dialogue, but it's a fun idea for a thriller and does a good job of ramping up the suspense at the end. The ending is much darker than I anticipated, and I'm not sure yet if I liked that or not. All in all, I enjoyed it, but I'm still confused by the people gushing about it being a "masterpiece" on the Internet. 3 stars.

Flickchart: #798 out of 1912, below Frankenweenie and above The Dark Knight Rises.

No comments: