Tuesday, August 11, 2020

See You Yesterday (2019)

 


IMDb plot summary: Two Brooklyn teenage prodigies, C.J. Walker and Sebastian Thomas, build makeshift time machines to save C.J.'s brother, Calvin, from being wrongfully killed by a police officer.
Directed by Stefon Bristol. Starring Eden Duncan-Smith, Dante Crichlow, Astro, and Marsha Stephanie Blake.

This was a great watch. Not only is CJ one of the most fantastic, relatable teen characters I've ever seen in a stylized genre story, but I loved how it connected the Big Picture themes of time travel to the much more intimate themes of injustice, loss, and the desperate thought of "There must be something I can do." It does what I love my genre fiction doing most -- using these fantastical or futuristic elements to explore how we live today in the world we are in. I was also impressed by the ending's refusal to give in to an easy conclusion. It made it a much more powerful and effective film for me. This is one I'll definitely be recommending for awhile.

How it entered my Flickchart:
See You Yesterday > Stagecoach
See You Yesterday > Father of the Bride (1991)
See You Yesterday < A Little Princess (1995)
See You Yesterday > Synecdoche, New York
See You Yesterday < Planet of the Apes (1968)
See You Yesterday > Super
See You Yesterday < Thermae Romae
See You Yesterday > Cats and Dogs
See You Yesterday < The Basketball Diaries
See You Yesterday > Jackie Brown
See You Yesterday < The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming!
Final spot: #531 out of 3187, or 83%.

No comments: