Saturday, August 15, 2020

The Hunt (2020)


IMDb plot summary: Twelve strangers wake up in a clearing. They don't know where they are, or how they got there. They don't know they've been chosen - for a very specific purpose - The Hunt.
Directed by Craig Zobel. Starring Betty Gilpin, Hilary Swank, Ike Barinholtz, and Wayne Duvall.

Well, this is a wild ride. As a comedy/thriller, it's amazing. Fantastically paced, really well-timed unexpected comedic moments, a lead character who is intriguing from beginning to end. As a satire, I'm a little less convinced. Neither political side comes out particularly well, but in a way that seems dismissive rather than insightful, in that South Park-ian way that indicates that Taking A Stance is the most harmful act of all. There are certainly clever moments, and I'm still working through it in my head to see if there's more to get out of it than I feel there is, but I suspect it's not going to cohere as much as I want it to. Set aside the political statement (or non-statement?) though and I did genuinely enjoy a lot of it.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Hunt > The Road
The Hunt < The Thing
The Hunt < Marjorie Prime
The Hunt > Patsy & Loretta
The Hunt > Paris, Texas
The Hunt > Rachel, Rachel
The Hunt > Radio Days
The Hunt < Esther, the Girl Who Became Queen
The Hunt > Were the World Mine
The Hunt > Albert Nobbs
The Hunt > The Crying Game
The Hunt > War Horse
Final spot: #1209 out of 3190, or 62%.

No comments: