Saturday, August 22, 2020

Enemy (2013)

 


IMDb plot summary: A man seeks out his exact look-alike after spotting him in a movie.
Directed by Denis Villeneuve. Starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Mélanie Laurent, Sarah Gadon, and ISabella Rossellini.

At first I thought the film was just aiming for a moody, paranoid atmosphere, aided by the dingy yellow lighting that pervades the film. The narrative itself certainly doesn't warrant the level of panic Adam feels on discovering his doppelganger, nor the escalating paranoia. But then the final shot, one of the most startlingly incomprehensible endings I've maybe ever encountered, makes me think that there must be some other entirely symbolic level on which I'm meant to view this story, and I'm just... not interested in that, not with this setup. Maybe on a second or third watch it would snap into place, but frankly I didn't enjoy it enough to watch to commit that time to it. If you like weird surreal symbolism, check this out. If not... maybe don't.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Enemy < Last Holiday
Enemy > Highlander
Enemy < Rebecca
Enemy > The Devil's Brigade
Enemy < Whisper of the Heart
Enemy < The Rescuers
Enemy < Play Misty for Me
Enemy > Dazed and Confused
Enemy > Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Enemy > A Mighty Wind
Enemy > The Iceman
Enemy < Show Boat (1951)
Final spot: #2175 out of 3197, or 32%.

No comments: