Monday, August 24, 2020

Uncut Gems (2019)

 


IMDb plot summary: With his debts mounting and angry collectors closing in, a fast-talking New York City jeweler risks everything in hope of staying afloat and alive.
Directed by Benny and Josh Safie. Starring Adam Sandler, Julia Fox, LaKeith Stanfield, and Eric Bogosian.

The only other film I've seen by the Safdie Brothers was Good Time, which genuinely surprised me with its unique take on the crime genre. This one isn't such a bright spot, instead treading incredibly familiar ground and feeling wildly predictable to me. Additionally, it's one of the most abrasive films I have ever seen. The lights, sounds, language, acting and camera work are all pushy and in-your-face and chaotic. In a way, yes, this immerses us in the chaos of the world, but in more practical terms, it gave me a headache and make me anxious for the film to end. Adam Sandler's character is one of the most unpleasant "protagonists" I have ever seen onscreen (right up with every comedic character Sandler has ever played) and waiting for his looming, obvious downfall was all I really had to look forward to in this film. I struggle to see what this film adds to the genre that other, less obnoxious, films haven't presented as well or better.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Uncut Gems < Last Holiday
Uncut Gems < Highlander
Uncut Gems > Monkey Business (1931)
Uncut Gems > Young Mr. Lincoln
Uncut Gems < Barry
Uncut Gems < After Hours
Uncut Gems < Deja Vu
Uncut Gems < The Butterfly Effect
Uncut Gems > Dinosaur
Uncut Gems > 27 Dresses
Uncut Gems < Silver Streak
Final spot: #2589 out of 3198, or 19%.

No comments: