Monday, August 3, 2020

Booksmart (2019)


IMDb plot summary: On the eve of their high school graduation, two academic superstars and best friends realize they should have worked less and played more. Determined not to fall short of their peers, the girls try to cram four years of fun into one night.
Directed by Olivia Wilde. Starring Kaitlyn Dever, Beanie Feldstein, Jessica Williams, and Jason Sudeikis.

I kept hearing this described as "the female version of Superbad," which was a film I found very underwhelming and unfunny, but I'm down for woman-centric films, so I went for it, and I was very pleasantly surprised. For one thing, there are more genuine laughs in here than I expected, and the vulgar moments are rooted in actually comedic settings and for the most part don't feel like they're gross just to be gross. Additionally, do you all even KNOW how rare it is to have a plus-sized comedy lead whose entire existence in the movie isn't just the joke, "she's fat but she talks about sex, how hilarious is that"? I loved both these main characters so much, and I loved how so many of the surrounding characters also weren't obvious Hollywood movie star teens -- they looked so much more like real people. It's a well-written, funny, smart movie with just enough heart to make it work. Impressive.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Booksmart > The Mistress of Spices
Booksmart > Widow's Peak
Booksmart < A Little Princess (1995)
Booksmart < The Invisible Man
Booksmart > The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Booksmart > Romeo and Juliet (1968)
Booksmart > Split
Booksmart > Brooklyn
Booksmart > The Bumblebee Flies Anyway
Booksmart > The Shawshank Redemption
Booksmart > Big Trouble in Little China
Booksmart < The Farewell
Final spot: #599 out of 3184, or 81%.

No comments: