Friday, August 21, 2020

Y Tu Mamá También (2001)


IMDb plot summary: In Mexico, two teenage boys and an attractive older woman embark on a road trip and learn a thing or two about life, friendship, sex, and each other.
Directed by Alfonso Cuarón. Starring Diego Luna, Gael García Bernal, Maribel Verdú, and Daniel Giménez Cacho.

Very young Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal are better here than in any movie I've subsequently seem from them, but the film overall fell a little flat for me. The tone of their constant playful sexual commentary is interestingly at odds with the darker moments of their sexual journey, as well as the frequent narration that feels a bit like a glimpse into "the real world" that these kids just don't get. As with many coming-of-age films, I was frustrated by the lack of resolution at the end, since the rest of the movie was interesting and I wanted it to be tied together more strongly by the ending. Without the strong resolution I was hoping for, I just don't see this film sticking with me very long.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Y Tu Mamá También > Chocolat
Y Tu Mamá También < Crocodile Dundee (this is about 400 spots too high on my chart, I need to rerank it)
Y Tu Mamá También < Young Frankenstein
Y Tu Mamá También < The Room
Y Tu Mamá También > Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
Y Tu Mamá También > Hamlet (2000)
Y Tu Mamá También < Alice Adams
Y Tu Mamá También < The Forbidden Kingdom
Y Tu Mamá También < The Birds
Y Tu Mamá También > How I Live Now
Y Tu Mamá También < Strictly Ballrom
Final spot: #1444 out of 3196, or 55%.

No comments: