Monday, September 15, 2014

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)


IMDb plot summary: Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world and battles a new threat from old history: the Soviet agent known as the Winter Soldier.
Directed by Anthony Russo and Joe Russo. Starring Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie, and Robert Redford.

Marvel sequels are not doing well for me these days. First there was Thor 2, which abandoned the silly theatricality of the first one for a drab, ugly pile of nonsense, and then there's this. Granted, this movie isn't nearly as bad as Thor 2, but it is absolutely not what I want to see when watching a Captain America movie. I enjoyed the first one a lot, with its cheery optimism and fun characters. This is a political thriller that just happens to involve members of S.H.I.E.L.D., but really, that's not even necessary, it could be anyone. It hardly plays around at all with the superhero aspect at all, which is what I find most engaging. It's not a bad movie -- it's a pretty *solid* political thriller -- but that was absolutely not what I was in the mood for when I got excited about watching this movie. Maybe this is one where I *should* have paid more attention to it going in. If I knew it wasn't really going to be a sci fi movie, I would maybe have been less disappointed... but then again I probably wouldn't have been so eager to watch it.

2.5 stars.

Flickchart: #1028 out of 2219, below Brick and above Following.

No comments: