Monday, September 8, 2014

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)


IMDb plot summary: A substance, designed to help the brain repair itself, gives rise to a super-intelligent chimp who leads an ape uprising.
Directed by Rupert Wyatt. Starring James Franco, Andy Serkis, Freida Pinto, and John Lithgow.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about this one, but I really enjoyed it. The scenes with the apes are beautiful examples of telling a lot of story and developing clear characters without dialogue -- something I'm always impressed by. It manages to have a lot of good action going on without getting overwhelming or feeling tedious for me. Now I'm especially intrigued to see Dawn sometime.

4 stars.

Flickchart: #506 out of 2216, below They Live and above GoodFellas. It's slightly too high because it's above the original Planet of the Apes, which isn't accurate, but it's close.

No comments: