Tuesday, September 9, 2014

In the Loop (2009)


IMDb plot summary (truncated because IT'S VERY LONG): The US President and UK Prime Minister fancy a war. But not everyone agrees that war is a good thing. The US General Miller doesn't think so and neither does the British Secretary of State for International Development, Simon Foster. But, after Simon accidentally backs military action on TV, he suddenly has a lot of friends in Washington, DC...
Directed by Armando Ianucci. Starring Peter Capaldi, Tom Hollander, Chris Addison, and Mimi Kennedy.

People kept telling me to watch this, and with good reason. Often political satires bore me, but this one had me giggling throughout the whole thing. All the acting is absolutely perfect, the dialogue is clever and funny, and I keep wanting to quote bits of it to the people around me. (There have been four times or so when I was on the verge of saying something was "difficult, difficult, lemon difficult," which may have been my favorite moment in the whole movie.) While I wasn't entirely satisfied with the ending, I liked everything else in the movie, so it's still well worth a watch.

4 stars.

Flickchart: #383 out of 2117, below Philomena and above The Great Gatsby.

No comments: