Friday, September 19, 2014

Fist of Legend (1994)


IMDb plot summary:  In 1937, a Chinese martial artist returns to Shanghai to find his teacher dead and his school harassed by the Japanese.
Directed by Gordon Chan. Starring Jet Li, Shinobu Nakayama, Siu-Ho Chin, Billy Chow.

Disliking a martial arts movie because "there's too much fighting" feels stupid. At the very least, it's an unhelpful assessment, like people complaining that musicals have too much singing. But that's kind of how I felt about this. If I was into fighting scenes, I could maybe see myself getting into this movie, but as it is, there's nothing else helping it along. The characters are bland, the plot is too complicated for me to really get into (I wasn't sure WHO he was fighting half the time)... I just didn't get into this one at all.

1 star.

Flickchart: #1771 out of 2220, below Get Shorty and above Analyze This.

No comments: