Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Muppets Most Wanted (2014)


IMDb plot summary: While on a grand world tour, The Muppets find themselves wrapped into an European jewel-heist caper headed by a Kermit the Frog look-alike and his dastardly sidekick.
Directed by James Bobin. Starring the Muppets, Ricky Gervais, Ty Burrell, and Tina Fey.

I watched my very first Muppets movie earlier this year (Muppet Treasure Island) and enjoyed it but wasn't crazy about it. This one, however, I really REALLY liked. For being such a meta-movie from time to time (oh my gosh, all those cameos) much of the humor seems surprisingly not-dated... though we'll see how I feel about it on a rewatch in 20 years. The musical numbers are absolutely delightful, the human characters are funny, and there's a gleeful absurdity running through the whole thing. I am definitely going to have to check out The Muppets now, since it's probably likely to be closest to this in tone, but I'm more convinced now that I eventually do want to watch them all.

4 stars.

Flickchart: #343 out of 2223, below Paths of Glory and above Clue.

No comments: