Monday, September 24, 2012

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

IMDb plot summary: After being deemed unfit for military service, Steve Rogers volunteers for a top secret research project that turns him into Captain America, a superhero dedicated to defending USA ideals.
Directed by Joe Johnston. Stars Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving and Hayley Atwell.

I feel the same way about almost all superhero movies that I feel about this: I thoroughly enjoy them while I'm in the middle of them, and then I forget them pretty quickly afterward. I do remember enjoying this one a lot. Captain America is an amusingly flamboyant character, as he bursts into foreign enemy locations with a bright, not-at-all-conspicuous American flag shield, and it's easy to root for Chris Evans' earnest portrayal. Hugo Weaving makes a wonderfully over-the-top villain. This is no gritty reboot - it thoroughly embraces all the shininess and silliness of old-timey comic books, and it is a joy to watch. It's not going to stick in my head much longer beyond this week, but it's a great fluffy popcorn movie. 3 stars.

Best Part: I really liked how they handled the back story. It's a good story and explains a lot about the character.
Worst Part: There's a lot of action all in a row at the end and not enough dialogue. I'm fully aware that's a very personal preference, but there was one point where I just completely zoned out of all the explosions and suddenly discovered all the characters were in planes now and I had no idea how any of them got there.
Flickchart: #664, below Rushmore and above Brothers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the era of the tortured superhero in movies, it's refreshing to come across one with enthusiasm and a pure spirit. Good review Hannah.

Hannah K said...

Thanks! Yeah, I like the darker superhero stories too, but I thoroughly enjoyed how refreshingly un-gritty it was. It felt a bit like watching a superhero movie from the 1940s.