Saturday, September 1, 2012

City Lights (1931)

IMDB plot summary: The Tramp struggles to help a blind flower girl he has fallen in love with.
Directed by Charles Chaplin. Starring Charles Chaplin, Virginia Cherrill, and Harry Myers.


While this didn't instantly grab my heart the way The Circus did or make me giggle a lot like Modern Times or The Gold Rush, this is still a good Chaplin, with some very entertaining scenes, and a surprisingly moving ending. The story meanders more than I expected it to, which was off-putting at first, although I ultimately warmed to it. The final scene was absolutely beautiful in a way I hadn't expected - I hadn't warmed to the character romance at all, so I didn't think I'd care about its resolution, but instead I found myself audibly saying, "Awww." That's the best part of Chaplin's films, for me - how even though there are plenty of great, very funny slapstick routines, it also has an incredible amount of warmth to it. These comedies have *heart*. 3 stars.

Best Part: The boxing match was my favorite. I laughed out loud several times.
Worst Part: I wasn't entertained by most of the billionaire scenes. And there were a lot of them.
Flickchart: #749, below The Scarlet and the Black and above Ponyo.

No comments: