Saturday, June 27, 2020

Your Name. (2016)


IMDb plot summary: Two strangers find themselves linked in a bizarre way. When a connection forms, will distance be the only thing to keep them apart?
Directed by Makoto Shinkai. Starring Ryûnosuke Kamiki, Mone Kamishiraishi, Ryô Narita, and Aoi Yûki.

This is a strange movie to try to write about because I can feel it gripping onto my heart but not because of reasons I can put into words. It feels more like... Here's an odd example. When I'm especially anxious, there is a general fear that doesn't stem from anything in particular, it just seems to permeate through every bit of me and stick. That is how I'm feeling about this movie, but with satisfaction instead of fear. When I start thinking about the pieces of this and trying to pinpoint what worked for me and what didn't, I can't figure out what it is. It is a lovely story, with some gorgeous animation and creative storytelling and great characters. But somehow they all add up into something more. This is one that I think is going to sit with me and in my soul for awhile before I can figure out what to say about it. But it works, and it is beautiful.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Your Name > The Italian Job
Your Name > Shall We Dance? (2004)
Your Name > The Maltese Falcon
Your Name < Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Your Name > My Man Godfrey
Your Name > Bambi
Your Name < Parasite
Your Name < Night of the Living Dead
Your Name > High Noon
Your Name < Blindspotting
Your Name > That Thing You Do!
Final spot: #237 out of 3162.

No comments: