Friday, June 5, 2020

Bad Education (2004)


IMDb plot summary: An examination on the effect of Franco-era religious schooling and sexual abuse on the lives of two longtime friends.
Directed by Pedro Almodóvar. Starring Gael García Bernal, Fele Martínez, Daniel Giménez Cacho, and Lluís Homar.

Pedro Almodovar really likes to toss just, like, every plot device in his movies, huh? I've now seen two back to back (with more to go, as I'm watching a bunch of his movies for a movie group I'm in) and they both leave me with a similar feeling, of being just... too busy and too all-over-the-place. I can't settle into what I'm supposed to be getting out of this, either experientially or intellectually. That being said, as a "just buckle in and enjoy the ride" with some good scenes, including one that really only hit me hindsight. But this director hasn't snapped into place for me yet.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Bad Education > The Stalking Moon
Bad Education < Gremlins
Bad Education < Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Bad Education < I Saw the Devil
Bad Education > Star Trek: Nemesis
Bad Education < Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
Bad Education > Les Miserables (2012)
Bad Education > Camp
Bad Education > Ratatouille
Bad Education > My Week With Marilyn
Bad Education > The Seventh Seal
Bad Education < The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair (1990)
Final spot: #1427 out of 3146.

No comments: