Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Gothika (2003)


IMDb plot summary: A depressed female psychiatrist wakes up as a patient in the asylum where she worked, with no memory of why she is there or what she has done.
Directed by Mathieu Kassovitz. Starring Halle Berry, Robert Downey Jr., Charles S. Dutton, and John Carroll Lynch.

When Halle Berry looks the bad guy in the eyes and says, "Logic is overrated," she is absolutely trying to convince the audience to like this movie, because it is absolutely ridiculous. But I found myself liking it way more than I should, in a cheesy lurid B-movie kind of way. A lot of reviews of this movie cited Halle Berry's performance as being good even among the mess, and I absolutely agree, I think she's what holds this thing together for me even while the plot is spinning off into goofiness. A silly, enjoyably atmospheric watch for me, but it is a ludicrous movie.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Gothika < Lost in America
Gothika > Life with Father
Gothika > Metropolis (1927)
Gothika > Incredibles 2
Gothika < The Deer Hunter
Gothika > Lazer Team
Gothika < South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
Gothika < La Haine
Gothika < Air Force One
Gothika < Tokyo Story
Gothika > First Blood
Gothika < Inland Empire
Final spot: #1720 out of 3150.

No comments: