Monday, June 15, 2020

A Bridge Too Far (1977)


IMDb plot summary: Operation Market Garden, September 1944: The Allies attempt to capture several strategically important bridges in the Netherlands in the hope of breaking the German lines.
Directed by Richard Attenborough. Starring Sean Connery, Ryan O'Neal, Paul Maxwell, and Dirk Bogarde.

(Mild spoilers ahead.)

While I typically find war films extremely uninteresting, I found myself interested by this for at least the first two out of three hours. I particularly found myself intrigued by the focus in the early half on how many people attempted or wanted to speak about the concerns they had with the mission, only to be shut themselves down or be shut down by others for quasi-political reasons. This is a pretty impressive cast to assemble too (I legitimately didn't recognize Anthony Hopkins until last third) but they don't stand out as individuals as much as they seem to be representing the ensemble of whichever group they're with, which would usually be a negative for me but, again, kind of works here. It doesn't hit as hard in the last third for me as other stories of failed war missions, but it still worked for me a lot more than I expected.

How it entered my Flickchart:
A Bridge Too Far < The Lion in Winter (2003)
A Bridge Too Far > Tombstone
A Bridge Too Far > Happythankyoumoreplease
A Bridge Too Far > Dr. No
A Bridge Too Far > A Scanner Darkly
A Bridge Too Far > Oblivion
A Bridge Too Far > Avengers: Infinity War
A Bridge Too Far > No eres tu, soy yo
A Bridge Too Far > Trumbo
A Bridge Too Far > Holiday Affair
A Bridge Too Far < The Age of the Medici

Final spot: #1581 out of 3156.

No comments: