Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Volver (2006)


IMDb plot summary: After her death, a mother returns to her home town in order to fix the situations she couldn't resolve during her life.
Directed by Pedro Almodóvar. Starring Penélope Cruz, Carmen Maura, Lola Dueñas, and Blanca Portillo.

My last Almodóvar I'll get to this month, I think, and easily my favorite. It's one of the best performances I've seen thus far from Penélope Cruz, it's another one with a rich cast of nuanced and complex women, the plots seemed to unfold from each other and connect thematically rather than be thrown down from the sky at random... And the visuals here are truly stunning. I noted Almodóvar's use of color in other films, but this is the first time it actually brought up an emotional response from me. Either I saved the best for last or I'm finally finding my way to understanding his work. Either way, as I most likely take a break from him for a bit, I'm glad to have gone out on a high note.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Volver > Hook
Volver < Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
Volver > Captains Courageous
Volver > The Whistleblower
Volver > Le samourai
Volver > Sneakers
Volver < Notting Hill
Volver < The Great Silence
Volver > Auntie Mame
Volver > Hoodwinked!
Volver < Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book
Final spot: #829 out of 3160.

No comments: