Tuesday, June 30, 2020

The Color of Pomegranates (1968)


IMDb plot summary: A super-stylized, surreal biography of Armenian troubadour Sayat Nova, whose life is depicted through non-narrative amalgamations of poetic images.
Directed by Sergei Parajanov. Starring Sofiko Chiaureli, Melkon Alekyan, Vilen Galstyan, and Gogi Gegechkori.

All right, so this was never going to, like, wow me. Or it would have been extremely unusual for it to do so. Visual symbolism so seldom connects with me that an avant-garde biopic told almost entirely through visual symbols was going to be a rough ride. It's not at all a commentary on the quality of it, and I'm always open to trying to engage with these films, but typically I find myself zoning out without a linear plot to ground me to what's actually being said. That being said, this was at least a peaceful, slow, meditative time zoning out. Knowing it was (loosely) about the life of a poet made sense, because it felt like a series of poetic lines, and if I had sat down and paused on each individual image I could probably have muddled some meaning out of it. Some of the images and use of color were striking. So I admire the effort and suspect there's something good here, but it doesn't quite get through to me, so it's still getting ranked low.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Color of Pomegranates < Melinda and Melinda
The Color of Pomegranates > Green Book
The Color of Pomegranates < Bobby
The Color of Pomegranates < Cars
The Color of Pomegranates < Adam's Rib
The Color of Pomegranates < Wild Hogs
The Color of Pomegranates < Jake's Women
The Color of Pomegranates > Party Girl
The Color of Pomegranates < Petulia
The Color of Pomegranates > Annie Get Your Gun
The Color of Pomegranates < Steve Jobs
Final spot: #2357 out of 3164.

No comments: