Monday, January 1, 2018

Spy (2015)


IMDb plot summary: A desk-bound CIA analyst volunteers to go undercover to infiltrate the world of a deadly arms dealer, and prevent diabolical global disaster.
Directed by Paul Feig. Starring Melissa McCarthy, Rose Byrne, Miranda Hart, and Jude Law.

To start with the positive, I love the idea of a spy movie with women in almost all the key roles, and Melissa McCarthy has a few great moments when she's being just plain tough and not funny-sassy-tough that give off a bit of a Kathy Bates vibe and make me want to see her in something more serious. The jokes, however, frequently don't land for me. Bodily fluids jokes will never be funny for me, nor will a comedic sidekick whose sole character trait is "sexual harasser." I didn't actively dislike anything, but I found myself wishing I could see a non-comedic version of this story because I feel like that had greater potential than what we got.

2 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Spy < House of Flying Daggers
Spy > Ray
Spy > Cassandra's Dream
Spy < Drive
Spy < Hollywood Homicide
Spy > Mission: Impossible
Spy > Larry-Boy & the Fib From Outer Space
Spy > Party Girl
Spy > 12 Days of Terror
Spy < No Country for Old Men

Final spot: #1604 out of 2694.

No comments: