Sunday, December 31, 2017

Griff the Invisible (2010)


IMDb plot summary: Griff, office worker by day, superhero by night, has his world turned upside down when he meets Melody, a beautiful young scientist who shares his passion for the impossible.
Directed by Leon Ford. Starring Ryan Kwanten, Maeve Dermody, Patrick Brammall, and Toby Schmitz.

Spoilers ahead.

I'm kind of torn on this one. It reminds me a bit of Lars and the Real Girl, and I was loving it up to the end, when it suddenly went the route of "love can fix everything and make mental illness awesome," which never sits well with me. The characters are fascinating in their own little worlds, but I'm disappointed enough by the ending that it left a sour taste in my mouth. I am wondering if there's another way to view this without that implication, because I wanted to love it a lot more than I did, and if I could find a way around the message I felt it sent, it might be able to climb the chart significantly.

3 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Griff the Invisible > Hoosiers
Griff the Invisible < Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Griff the Invisible < War Horse
Griff the Invisible > John Dies at the End
Griff the Invisible > Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
Griff the Invisible > Stalag 17
Griff the Invisible < Star Trek: Generations
Griff the Invisible < Witness
Griff the Invisible > Logan's Run
Griff the Invisible < The Stepford Wives (1975)

Final spot: #1046 out of 2693.

No comments: