Saturday, December 2, 2017

Häxan (1922)


IMDb plot summary: Fictionalized documentary showing the evolution of witchcraft, from its pagan roots to its confusion with hysteria in modern Europe.
Directed by Benjamin Christensen. Starring Maren Pederson, Clara Pontoppidan, Elith Pio, and Oscar Stribolt.

I'm struggling with how to review this. It's certainly a format I hadn't seen in many silent films before this -- much more like an educational docudrama, which is kind of fascinating. However, I frequently found my interest waning, and they jump around from subject to subject sometimes without my realizing it so it becomes difficult to follow a single person's story. This ultimately works for me more as a curiosity than as an interesting movie on its own. As such it'll rank low on the chart, but I did appreciate what they were trying to do.

2 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Haxan < George of the Jungle
Haxan > Sharknado
Haxan > The Witches of Eastwick (now there's a funky double feature)
Haxan < War of the Buttons (1994)
Haxan < Mystic River
Haxan > Little Lord Fauntleroy
Haxan > Cropsey
Haxan > Martha Marcy May Marlene
Haxan > Beaches
Haxan > Touch of Evil
Haxan < 12 Days of Terror

Final spot: #1595 out of 2682.

No comments: