Monday, January 22, 2018

Lockdown (2000)


IMDb plot summary: Avery returns to college as a competitive swimmer after getting his life back on track. But his life takes another unexpected turn when he and his two friends are wrongly accused of murder and end up in prison.
Directed by John Luessenhop. Starring Richard T. Jones, Gabriel Casseus, De'aundre Bonds, and Master P.

Earlier in my movie challenge I watched another prison movie -- The Last Castle, which ended up being a surprisingly fun adventure of camaraderie, but this one just feels sort of hollow. Our main protagonist is so passive, but not for any deep-seated principles or interesting narrative reasons, and so it's really hard to care about him at all. We spend more time with other random people who, judging by how the plot plays out, really are meant to be side characters but are the only ones who get personality and agency. I suppose individual scenes in here are fine, but it just doesn't all hang together for me.

2 stars.

This title is not yet on Flickchart. I've added it to the database and will try to remember to update this page once it's been added and I can rank it.

No comments: