Tuesday, January 30, 2018

The Love Witch (2016)


IMDb plot summary: A modern-day witch uses spells and magic to get men to fall in love with her.
Directed by Anna Biller. Starring Samantha Robinson, Gian Keys, Laura Waddell, and Jeffrey Vincent Parise.

I watch The Love Witch mostly because one of my favorite YouTubers did a video essay on it, and it's been sitting in my "Watch Later" list for quite awhile. This is a pretty unusual movie. The director is a fascinating woman (as that video essay talked about) and is definitely doing some interesting and creative stuff here. It's a tough film for me to process, though -- I'm still not sure exactly whether I liked it or not. I'm trying to figure out how much my experience is brought down by the (deliberately, I'm sure) stilted dialogue and performances, or whether I'm intrigued enough by the film's broader scope to look past that. I have a feeling this one is more interesting in the conversation afterward than while watching it. Just watching that video essay and hearing someone talk through their response to it and the director's take on it boosted my interest in it. So more people should watch it so I can hear what they have to say and figured out what I think about it. :-)

2.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Love Witch < Anonymous
The Love Witch > Blue Valentine
The Love Witch > The Librarian: Quest for the Spear
The Love Witch < Where the Wild Things Are
The Love Witch < Kagemusha
The Love Witch > Frosty the Snowman
The Love Witch < The Game
The Love Witch > Disturbia
The Love Witch < Chinatown
The Love Witch < Adventures in Babysitting (1987)
The Love Witch > Larry-Boy! & the Fib from Outer Space!

Final spot: #1640 out of 2713.

No comments: