Monday, February 27, 2017

Manchester by the Sea (2016)


IMDb plot summary: An uncle is asked to take care of his teenage nephew after the boy's father dies.
Directed by Kenneth Lonergan. Starring Casey Affleck, Lucas Hedges, Michelle Williams, and Kyle Chandler.

This is the sort of quiet relational indie movie I may admire greatly but can't quite fall in love with. In recent years I've had to admit I have a fondness for the grandiose and the theatrical in my dramas. This is certainly far from theatrical. This is only a negative if you're me; for many moviegoers, that might be a word in its praise. The film does play out very realistic and very naturally, and all involved do a great job in their respective roles. Casey Affleck somehow manages to convey great depth of character beneath his never-changing facade of beaten-down cynicism. It's a good movie, and if this sounds even a little bit like something you might like, I'd highly recommend you check it out.

3.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Manchester by the Sea > Checking Out
Manchester by the Sea > The Abyss
Manchester by the Sea < Breakfast at Tiffany's
Manchester by the Sea < What We Do in the Shadows
Manchester by the Sea < What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Manchester by the Sea < Southside with You
Manchester by the Sea > My Life as a Dog
Manchester by the Sea < Moonrise Kingdom
Manchester by the Sea < Inherit the Wind
Manchester by the Sea > Reservoir Dogs

Final spot: #623 out of 2585.

No comments: