Saturday, February 18, 2017

The French Connection (1971)


IMDb plot summary: A pair of NYC cops in the Narcotics Bureau stumble onto a drug smuggling job with a French connection.
Directed by William Friedkin. Starring Gene Hackman, Fernando Rey, Roy Scheider, and Tony Lo Bianco.

I've avoided this movie for quite awhile, figuring it'd be a tedious crime movie I couldn't get into. Well, turns out I was right. I feel like I'm not even qualified to judge crime movies because I have so little investment in them from the get-go and they have to do so much extra work to win me over. This one doesn't. It all feels incredibly low-stakes, despite the fact that they tell me over and over again that it's not, but that urgency never comes through. Even in the scene where Hackman is (supposedly desperately) searching for the drugs hidden in a car he brought in, it feels sluggish, and any actual results to the car chases or searches are anticlimactic. This lazy atmosphere had to be a deliberate choice, but it's one that makes me care even less in a genre that was already starting a few steps behind for me.

0.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The French Connection < Chasing Amy
The French Connection < Special
The French Connection < The Butter Battle Book
The French Connection > The World Is Not Enough
The French Connection > Holy Motors
The French Connection < Brigadoon
The French Connection < My Friend Irma
The French Connection < Kate and Leopold
The French Connection > Solaris (1972)
The French Connection > Five Children and It
The French Connection > Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

Final spot: #2326 out of 2577.

No comments: