Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The Awful Truth (1937)


IMDb plot summary: Unfounded suspicions lead a married couple to begin divorce proceedings, whereupon they start undermining each other's attempts to find new romance.
Directed by Leo McCarey. Starring Irene Dunne, Cary Grant, Ralph Bellamy, and Alexander D'Arcy.

I've always enjoyed Cary Grant and Irene Dunne and screwball rom coms, so I'm a little disappointed that I didn't LOVE this. Don't get me wrong, I had a good time with it, and it's going to rank high on my chart, but I had higher hopes for this than I got. I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is that went a little flat for me, but I know it has to do with the emotional beats rather than the comedic ones, because there was nothing wrong on that level. It was funny and I laughed a lot, but the romantic tension that I was hoping for never quite got there, even in the final moments of the movie. I do think it's one that might benefit from multiple viewings, though, so after I've let it sit for a little while I intend to go back and check it out again to see how that works out.

This is an unusually negative review for a movie I liked, so let me clarify that I really *did* like this movie a lot. My expectations were just too high so that's what's sticking with me.

4 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Awful Truth > The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
The Awful Truth > Australia
The Awful Truth < Smashed
The Awful Truth < Garden State
The Awful Truth < Bernie
The Awful Truth > Face/Off
The Awful Truth < Pom Poko
The Awful Truth > Corrina, Corrina
The Awful Truth < Rise of the Planet of the Apes
The Awful Truth > Megamind
The Awful Truth > Cold Comfort Farm
The Awful Truth < Big Man Japan

Final spot: #536 out of 2580, or 79%.

No comments: