Sunday, February 19, 2017

The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982)


IMDb plot summary: A town's sheriff and regular patron of a historical whorehouse fights to keep it running when a TV reporter targets it as the Devil's playhouse.
Directed by Colin Higgins. Starring Burt Reynolds, Dolly Parton, Dom DeLuise, and Charles Durning.

Well, this movie is pretty much what I hoped it would be: a sweet, charming movie about an unconventional subject. What I like most about it, though, is watching the two lead characters. Mona and Ed Earl have an easy chemistry both as lovers and as friends, and any scene where they're interacting is really delightful to watch. I knew some of the music here, and it's pretty good, aside from the ridiculous choice to add in "I Will Always Love You," a great song in its own right that is completely wasted in how it's been shoehorned into the movie. I'm not sure this is a movie I'll remember for a long time -- it's casual low-key tone does make it pretty forgettable in the end -- but it's one that I'm sure I'd have just as good a time with if I revisited it later.

4 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas > Chasing Amy
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas > The Reader
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas < Smashed
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas < Bernie
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas > GoodFellas
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas < Pom Poko
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas > Rock of Ages
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas < Rise of the Planet of the Apes
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas < Megamind
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas > Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas < 22 Jump Street

Final spot: #540 out of 2579.

No comments: